About the event
What is Dance for Sick Kids?
Dance for Sick Kids is a virtual fundraising event where people come together and dance, to raise money for seriously ill children.
Money raised will go to Ronald McDonald House Charities Greater Western Sydney to help keep families close while seriously ill children are being treated at the hospital.
When is Dance for Sick Kids?
Dance for Sick Kids is an annual ongoing event. You choose your own period of time that you want to dance, and commit to dancing each day during that time!
What is a virtual event?
Virtual events are the new, improved way of taking part in physical activity. Instead of dancing at your school, at the club or just through the shopping centre, virtual events gives you the ability to do this straight from your home!
How do I sign up?
This is extremely simple, just click sign up at the top of the page and follow the steps!
Do I have to choose one of the options for the amount of time I dance each day?
Nope. When you register there's an option to 'Choose your own challenge". Choose whatever you are comfortable with! If that's 15 mins a day, great! As long as you are safe and having fun there's no worries. For the keen dancers out there you might want to set yourself a bigger challenge with a dance marathon!
Do I have to dance for the consecutive time?
120 minutes straight of dancing, now that is impressive! But no, you don’t have to dance consecutively. You can break up your dancing time throughout the day however you wish, whether it be 30 minutes when you wake up and 30 minutes at night.
Dancing really isn’t my thing, can I do something else?
That’s the beauty of dance, it's designed for everyone! Have you got any Tik Tok dances you've been wanting to learn or just have fun, it's not a competion, it's just about giving it a go and raising funds to support sick kids! Baby steps is just 30 minutes a day and a perfect place to start.
I honestly have two left feet & can’t dance. Can I participate some other way?
Thank you for being amazing and really wanting to help seriously ill children! We understand dancing is not for everyone, so of course! Dance is all about having fun and getting moving. So why not pledge to be active in another way for that amount of time, run, walk, swim (maybe at least finish it off with the Macarena). When you register, there is an option to 'Choose your own challenge'. Remember to update your bio to let your supporters know what you're getting up to!
Can I do any dance style?
You certainly can! Even if your dance skills don’t progress past the chicken dance we strongly encourage everyone to dance your own way! Whether that is hip-hop, ballet, line-dancing or even the classic waltz - you might want to learn a whole new genre, routine or even just the latest Tik Tok dance!
Do I have to post about my dancing on social media?
If you don’t feel comfortable you most definitely don’t have to. We encourage anyone that feels comfortable to post their daily dancing on social platforms using the #danceforsickkids. This is a great way to show your supporters what you’ve been up to while also connecting to the wider community also getting involved. Join our Facebook Group group and follow us on Instagram and Tik Tok @danceforsickkids
Where do I log my dance moves?
You’re right, you’ve performed these killer moves, you need somewhere to show you’ve done it!
We are encouraging participants to log their dance moves in the below ways:
1. Your Dance Diary! If you haven’t checked it out, you can find it on your fundraising dashboard under ‘My Page’. Think of your Dance Diary as your blog. You can post photos, Tik Tok and YouTube videos, or just write a little something about your dancing efforts.
2. Post your dancing on your social media! I know it can seem daunting, but so many of your supporters want to see you dancing. By posting it on your social media using #danceforsickkids and tagging us @danceforsickkids you can be featured on our inspiration wall as well as connecting to the wider Dance for Sick Kids community!
Taking part as a team
Can I start a team with friends, family or colleagues?
Sure can! And we encourage you to. Creating a team for join Dance for Sick Kids is a fun way to stay connected with colleagues or loved ones whilst we are in isolation. It's easy, when you register, select create or join team. Think of a fun team name and start recruiting your team members to help make a difference!
How do I create a team?
It’s simple. Just click the ‘Sign Up’ button and you will be asked if you’d like to create or join a team when you get to the ‘Create Your Page’ step. Still having trouble? Just shoot us an email at supportingGWS@rmhc.org.au and we will help you complete the set up.
How do I invite people to my team
It’s always more fun dancing as a team. Creating a team to join Dance for Sick Kids is a fun way to stay connected with friends, family or colleagues. After you create a team you can send pre-written email invites from your fundraising dashboard. Or simply share your team link, there’s a ‘Join Us’ button on the page.
Can anyone join my team?
The more the merrier is what we think. Invite your colleagues and get them to invite their friends. It’s about having fun and supporting seriously ill children. You will have the option to allow anyone to join your team, or you can set to private so only those you invite can join.
If we are in isolation, how will I dance with my team?
Good question, and thanks for keeping people safe by staying home. There are a number of ways to dance with your team from the comfort of your own homes, Zoom dance parties, Facebook Messenger, actually most group chats have a video function. Click here for some Team Tips!
Can I share the time load with my team?
Dancing feet always need a break! If you need to share the dance load, go for it! Just getting involved and making a difference for sick kids is what really matters!
How does my team log their dance moves?
As a team you all need to keep each other accountable, and that’s why we encourage teams to log their dance moves in 2 ways:
1. Your Team Blog! If you haven’t checked it out you can find it on your fundraising dashboard under “My Team”. You can post photos, Tik Tok and YouTube videos, or just write a little something about your dancing efforts.
2. Post your dancing on your social media! I know it can seem daunting, but so many of your supporters want to see you dancing . By posting it on your social media using #danceforsickkids and tagging us @danceforsickkids you can be featured on our inspiration wall as well as connecting to the wider Dance for Sick Kids community!
Sponsoring and Donating
How do people sponsor me / my team?
Your fundraising page is your best friend! Supporters can sponsor and donate to you / your team directly through your fundraising page. This will be set up as soon as you sign up.
Your online fundraising page is your best friend! Supporters can sponsor and donate to you / your team directly through your fundraising page. This will be set up as soon as you sign up.
Where does the money raised go to?
All funds raised will go directly to supporting seriously ill children and their families using Ronald McDonald House Charities Greater Western Sydney's services. Check our our 'About us' for more information.
How can I keep my sponsors up to date with my dancing?
Being accountable – we love it! There are a few helpful ways for your sponsors to keep up to date.Being accountable – we love it! There are a few helpful ways for your sponsors to keep up to date.
1. Your Dance Diary – Your dance diary is your blog. You can find it on “My Page” on your fundraising hub. Post all your updates here and invite your sponsors to your page for regular updates.
2. Send them emails straight from your fundraising page! On your fundraising hub on “My Dashboard” you will find “Get Support”. Here you are able to send emails to your contacts aswell as share your page directly to your socials!
3. Post your dancing on your social media. I know it can seem daunting, but so many of your supporters will most likely be on your social networks. By posting it on social media using #danceforsickkids and tagging us @danceforsickkids you can be featured on our inspiration wall as well as connecting to the wider Dance for Sick Kids community!